There are a couple of new items in this weeks CSA! You will see a mix of mustards, arugula, and asian greens (to be enjoyed as a micro-green salad), as well as a daikon radish included your share this week.
(Pictured left: harvested Asian Greens, known as Te You, Mebuna, and Hon Tsa Tai. Pictured right: Farmhand Ashley unearthing the first Daikon Radish of the season. Could be a State Fair Winner!)
The Daikon radish is also known as the ‘Chinese Turnip’ or ‘Japenese Horseradish’, but despite this last moniker, this radish tends to have less of a ‘bite’ than the more familiar pink Cherry Belle. It is crisp and juicy in texture, and can be used either raw or cooked. See below the CSA pack list for a ideas on how to prepare this giant-ly healthful root crop!
This week’s CSA box also includes:
- Shishito Peppers
- Sweet Potato Greens
- Sweet Peppers
- Daikon Radish
- Microgreens (Mix of Arugula, Garnet Mustard Greens, + Asian Greens)
- Beet Greens
Daikon Recipe Ideas
- Radish-Slaw (with carrots, apples, fennel, whatever you want to use! finish with vinaigrette)
- Glazed with greens (butter and water and cubed pieces in pan, 2-3 TB sugar, cook until water evaporates+add greens, yum!)
- Add to Stir-fry!
- Quick Pickle ’em and keep them in your fridge!
- Make Daikon Chips via the broiler! Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever seasoning you’d like– garlic powder, paprika, etc)
For the serious home-chef I’ve included here is a youtube video about how to prepare a vegan version of Lo Bak Go. Ingredients needed are your daikon radish, rice flour, dried shiitake, scallions, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, and frying oil.
Post written by Laura Maule