The weather is cooling down and growing seasons are changing on the student farm. Our beds are being cleared and prepared for spring strawberries and cold weather crops have been planted. Now is a good time to see our rich soil that has been built up with organic practices and good soil management over the years.
Some changes are coming to the farm. We will be building onto the shed. Alas the apple tree will be cut down in a few weeks for this needed construction. So enjoy the apples in your CSA box this week. Our new orchard will be producing in the near future.
Items in your CSA box this week is,
White and purple eggplant
Variety of peppers
White and red potatoes
Linda E. Sampson Costa
East Bridgewater, MA
Makes 2 servings
Large sprig of fresh rosemary
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 small, homegrown eggplants
1. Mix together rosemary and olive oil. Let stand for 15 minutes
2. Cut the eggplant into ¼ slices.
3. Brush each slice with oil and grill for 3-5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
Lemon Grass Chicken
Port Murray, NJ
Makes 4-6 servings
1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 green onions, dices
1Tbsp. garlic, minced
2 red Chile peppers, sliced
½ cup chopped fresh basil or mint
1. Mix together all ingredients. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. Stir-fry chicken in hot skillet for 3-4 minutes or until done.
3. Serve over rice.
Variation: Add 2 Tbsp. apple vinegar to the marinade.