There are some unique veggies in the box this week. The fall harvest is still going on the farm and we have got some treats for you. There are two kinds of head lettuce, Picat Butterhead, and Cimmaron Romaine. There is also some Ginger, cilantro, and turmeric.
The other veggies in the box are:
- Purple top white turnips
- Watermelon radish
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brussel Sprouts
Here are a few things you need to know about kohlrabi:
- When raw, it tastes like a slightly spicier version of broccoli stems, like a mix of broccoli stem and radish. When cooked, it’s a bit sweeter, especially if caramelized. You can cut it into cubes or wedges and roast it, or slice or cut into matchsticks and stir-fry.
- The leaves are edible (and loaded with iron); add them to a salad or saute with garlic as you would mustard or beet greens.
- Kohlrabi is a good source of fiber, vitamins C and B6, and potassium.
There is more information on this veggie at :
You also need to know about the turmeric in the box so here are a few hints on how to use it:
- Use Fresh Turmeric to Add a Health Kick to Smoothies. …
- 2. Make Indian Golden Milk (Haldi Ka Doodh) …
- Use it as a Substitute for Mustard or Saffron. …
- Turn White Rice into Golden Rice. …
- Dehydrate Leftover Turmeric Root. …
- 6. Make a Turmeric Omelette. …
- Substitute Fresh for Dried Turmeric in Curry Paste Recipes.
Now I have a couple of recipes for you to check out. Here are the links and I hope you enjoy them.
posted by Sherry Carroll