I hope everyone is excited about the CSA box this week and if you’re curious what is going in the box I will fill you in. Let me see, there is eggplant, eggplant, and more eggplant! We have them coming out of our ears and they are eager to go home with you. The beauty of eggplant is that it can be substituted for pizza dough and pasta noodles for a healthier version of your favorite dish.
Here is a recipe for eggplants I found from the website RealSimple.com:
Eggplant Parmesan Rollatini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggplants (about 3 pounds total ), sliced lengthwise (about 16 slices total)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2cups marinara sauce
- 2large eggs
- 115-ounce container ricotta
- 2teaspoons dried oregano
- 2cups grated mozzarella (8 ounces)
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan (1 1/2 ounces)
- Heat oven to 450° F. Divide the oil between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Dividing evenly, arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheets and turn to coat in the oil; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake the eggplant, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until soft and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes; let cool. Reduce heat to 400° F.
- Meanwhile, in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch or some other 3-quart baking dish, spread ½ cup of the marinara sauce. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta, oregano, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture on one end of a slice of eggplant, roll it up, and transfer it to the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices and ricotta mixture.
- Top the eggplant rolls with the remaining cup of marinara sauce and the remaining cup of mozzarella. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Besides eggplant, you will also have hot peppers, sweet peppers, okra, sugar baby melon, garlic, and potatoes. Enjoy the array of colors found within the CSA box this week and look forward to seeing everyone next week!
Written by Carrie-farmer in training!